homeChina travel guide > China visa - passport
China guide
Traveler café 
Travel directory
Last updated : Nov 2009
China Visa - Passport
China Visa and Passport Information - TravelPuppy.com
  Passport Required? Visa Required? Return Ticket Required?
British Yes Yes Yes
Australian Yes Yes Yes
Canadian Yes Yes Yes
USA Yes Yes Yes
Other EU Yes Yes Yes
Japanese Yes 1 Yes

(a) China doesn't recognise dual nationality (eg US-Chinese, Canadian-Chinese).

(b) Travellers must complete a health declaration certificate upon arrival in China. HIV-positive travellers are not allowed to enter the country.


Passports are Required by all. They must be valid for a minimum of 6 months for a single or double entry within 3 months of the date of visa issue; a minimum of 9 months for multiple entries within 6 months.


Required by all with the exception of transit passengers (except nationals of Hong Kong (SAR passports), Macau (SAR passports), USA and UK) continuing on the same or first connecting flight to another country within 24 hours who posses valid onward documents and do not leave the airport.

Types of visa and fees

/Business/Transit (UK nationals): £30 (single-entry); £45 (double-entry); £60 (multiple-entry for business visas only; 6 months); £90 (multiple entry for business visas only; 12 months).

Tourist/Business/Transit (other nationals): £20 per person (single-entry); £30 (double-entry); £40 (multiple-entry; 6 months); £60 (multiple-entry; 12 months). Group (minimum five people): £24 per person. Express Services cost an additional£15 (for visas issued within 24 or 48 hours).

Note: An extra £20 (postal order) must be included with all postal applications to cover handling and postal costs.


Tourist, Business and Group visas are usually valid for 3 months from the date of issue (single and double-entry).

visas are usually valid for 6 months.

The validity of Business visas differs. Transit visas are normally valid for up to 7 days.

Application to

Consulate (or Consular section at Embassy); see Contact section. Visas are applied for in person a minimum of 1 month prior to departure. Group visas are generally obtained by the tour operator or travel agent.

Application requirements


(a) Completed application.

(b) 1 recent passport-size photo.

(c) Valid passport with a a minimum of at least one blank page.

(d) Fee (must be paid in cash or by postal order only).

(e) Sufficient funds to cover duration of stay.

(f) Round trip airline ticket, travel information about itinerary and confirmation of hotel reservation in China.

(g) A self-addressed, stamped, envelope for postal applications (registered/recorded delivery is advised).



(h) Official invitation from the Chinese government or a government-approved company stating duration and purpose of visit (original copies must be submitted for multiple-entry visas).



(h) As for Business visas

(i) Work permit from Ministry of Labour or the State Bureau of Foreign Experts in China.

Group (minimum of 10 people or more)


(h) Confirmation letter or fax from an authorized Chinese tour company. A list of all group members must be presented in triplicate. Photocopies of all group passports with the visa number for each member.



(h) Travellers may be asked to show a visa for the next country of destination or an airline ticket or a letter from a recognized company.

Working days required

Applications must be submitted a minimum of 1 month in advance. Applications usually take 3 days if applied for in person and 14 days if applied by post. A 24/48-hour service is offered upon request.

Temporary residence

Enquiries should be addressed to the Chinese Embassy.


(a) Most visits to China tend to be arranged through the official state travel agency CITS (China International Travel Service). This liaison with CITS is usually handled by the tour operator arranging the inclusive holiday chosen by the visitor, however it is possible for individuals to organise their own itinerary. As soon as the tour itinerary details have been confirmed to the visitor or visiting group, funds to pay for hotels and the cost of the tour must be deposited with CITS through a home bank. Once again, for package trips, all the appropriate formalities for a visit to China can be arranged by the tour operator concerned.

(b) For those who wish to visit Tibet are strongly advised to do so as part of a travel group. Individual travellers must have a special permit and should acquire permission to visit Tibet or Xinjiang, by fax, from the Tourist Bureau of Tibet before applying for a visa (see Contact section).