homeKorea South travel guide > Korea South health
Korea South guide
Traveler café 
Travel directory
Last updated : Nov 2009
Korea South Health
Korea South Health - TravelPuppy.com
  Special Precautions Certificate Required
Yellow Fever Yes No
Cholera No 1
Typhoid and Polio No N/a
Malaria 2 N/a
1: A cholera vaccination certificate is not a condition of entry to Korea (Rep) following WHO guidelines issued during 1973. Nevertheless, cholera may be a risk in this country and precautions are very necessary. The latest advice should be sought before deciding whether these precautions should include a vaccination, as medical opinion is divided over its effectiveness.

2: Limited malaria risk, exclusively in the benign vivax form, exists essentially in the northern districts of the Gangwon Do and Kyunggi Do provinces.

Food & drink

Water main is usually chlorinated and, whilst fairly safe, may cause mild abdominal upsets. For the 1st few weeks of stay, bottled water is recommended.

Powdered or tinned milk is available and is recommended, but should make sure that it is reconstituted with pure water. Avoid dairy products which are likely to be made from un-boiled milk.

Try to eat only well-cooked fish and meat, preferably served hot while fruit should be peeled and vegetables cooked.

Other risks

Japanese encephalitis may be transmitted by mosquitos from June to the end of October in some rural areas. There is vaccine available. Travellers should consult their doctor prior to departure.

Hepatitis A is common and B is extremely endemic, as is Korean hemorrhagic fever. TB occurs.

Rabies may be existent. Vaccination should be considered for those at high risk and seek medical advice immediately if you are bitten.


Travellers who wish to stay for more than 3 months may require to supply a certificate that shows they have tested HIV negative, issued within 1 month before arriving in Korea. For more details, ask at the Consulate.

Health care

Health insurance is recommended. There are facilities available in all the tourist areas, and hotels will recommend a local doctor. Payment and registration prior to any treatment are required in almost every hospital. Most nurses and receptionists cannot speak English but write words out on paper which is able to help in urgent cases.
Useful travel links
CDC official site of the US Centers for Disease Control
MASTA the Medical Advisory Services for Travellers
No jet lag all about jet lag. What is it who gets it
SOS international SOS
WHO the official site of the World Health Organization