homeFinland travel guide > Finland visa - passport
Finland guide
Traveler café 
Travel directory
Last updated : Nov 2009
Finland Visa - Passport
Finland Visa and Passport Information - TravelPuppy.com
  Visa Required? Passport Required? Return Ticket Required?
British No No/10 No
Australian No Yes No
Canadian No Yes No
USA No Yes/6 No
Other EU No No1-9 No
Japanese No Yes/6 No
Finland is a signatory to the 1995 Schengen Agreement.

Since March 1995, a 'borderless' region known as the Schengen area has been declared covering the following states:

Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.

Schengen countries now issue standard Schengen visas, and nationals holding visas issued by one of the Schengen countries are, in principle, permitted to travel freely within the borders of all 15. However, since Schengen states are still free to decide their own visa requirements, entry regulations may vary and nationals not requiring a visa for one Schengen country may require one for other Schengen countries. This has various practical implications and for example, travellers may be refused entry to a Schengen country for which they do not require a visa if holding onward tickets to a country for which they do require a visa. Travellers should check with the authorities of the country they intend to visit as to whether they require a visa to enter. If visiting more than 1 Schengen country, the traveller should apply for the Schengen visa to the Embassy/Consulate of the first or main country to be visited.

There are 3 types of Schengen visa: Airport Transit, Transit and Short-stay visas. For stays of over 3 months, a long-stay visa will be required, and will be valid only in the country of issue.


Passport valid for at least 3 to 6 months required by all except the following provided they hold a valid national ID card:

a. nationals of EU countries (except Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, the Slovak Republic, Slovenia and the UK), including the French Overseas Departments of Guadeloupe, Martinique and Réunion but excluding Greenland and the Faroe Islands.

b. nationals of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland and San Marino.


The following nationals may also be able to enter Finland with documents other than a valid passport, although this should be checked prior to arrival, since passport exemptions are not guaranteed in these cases:

a. 2. Nationals of Croatia and Slovenia with Yugoslavian passports issued prior to the states becoming independent.

b. 3. Nationals of Denmark with an emergency passport.

c. 4. Nationals of Estonia with temporary travel documents.

d. 5. Nationals of Germany and Lithuania with a child's travel document in lieu of passport.

e. 6. Nationals of Japan and the USA with re-entry permits to their respective countries.

f. 7. Nationals of Latvia with ID documents for stateless persons, or with alien's passport.

g. 8. Nationals of The Netherlands with a Titre de Voyage.

h. 9. Nationals of Poland with emergency travel documents.

i. 10. Nationals of the United Kingdom with a certificate of identity or Carte d'Identité (United Kingdom Gibraltar). Passports must be blue and issued after Jan 1 1983, bearing "British Citizen" on page one, and/or "Holder has a right of abode in the UK" on page 5. EU passports must bear "European Community" or "European Union" on the front cover and "British Citizen" on the page of personal data.


Required by all except the following for a period of up to 90 days:

a. nationals listed in the chart and under passport exemptions above

b. nationals of Andorra, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong (SAR), Iceland, Israel, Korea (Republic), Macau (SAR), Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Romania, Singapore, Uruguay, Venezuela and Vatican City. Visas are required for stays exceeding 90 days and by all who wish to work during their stay except nationals of Denmark, Iceland, Norway and Sweden.

c. holders of a UN or EU laissez-passer.


3. a. Holders of the following also do not require a visa:

‘British Citizen’ passports, including those from the Channel Islands and Isle of Man, with the endorsement ‘Holder has the right of re-admission’ or ‘Holder is entitled to re-admission to the United Kingdom’ or ‘Holder has the right of abode in the United Kingdom’, provided holders of such passports have not stayed outside the UK for more than 2 years (including the expected stay in Finland),‘British Dependent Territories Citizens’ passports (BDTC) issued to persons with the right of abode in Gibraltar with the endorsement 'Holder is defined as a UK national for Community purposes'; British National Overseas passports (BNO) with permanent residence in Hong Kong are visa exempt for up to 3months.

b. Holders of the following do require a visa:

‘British Protected Persons’ passports endorsed ‘Holder is subject to control under the Immigration Act 1971’.

Airport transit

Passengers continuing their journey by the same or first connecting aircraft within the international zone of the Schengen airport, without gaining access to the national territory of the Schengen member state, may not require a transit visa, provided they are holding valid onward or return documentation.

Nationals of the following countries always need a visa to transit through a Danish airport:

Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Congo (Dem Rep), Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, India (not required for Indian nationals in possession of a valid visa to an EU or EEA country, USA or Canada), Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia and Sri Lanka (the above list is subject to changes, please check with the Embassy or Consular section at Embassy). However, if any of these nationals are residents in an EU member state, an EEA country, the USA or Canada, and hold permission to return a minimum of 3 months after transiting Finland, a visa is not required.

Types of visa and cost

A uniform type of visa, the Schengen visa, is issued for tourist, business and private visits.

All visas are £24 (€35), regardless of duration of stay or whether single-, double or multiple entry. Visa fees may vary depending on the rate of exchange and the transfer of a visa costs £14.

Cost of Visa Conversion Table:

£10 US$18
£40 US$73
£50 US$91
£100 US$182
£140 US$255
£150 US$273


Spouses and children of EU nationals (providing spouse’s passport and the original marriage certificate/children’s full birth certificate is produced), and nationals of some other countries, receive their visas free of charge (enquire at the Embassy for details).


Transit visas are valid for up to 5 days. Single entry and double entry visas are valid for up to 90 days. Multiple entry visas are valid for up to 1 year. Applications for renewal or extension should be made to the Embassy or Authorities in Finland.


Consulate or the Consular section at Embassy, see Contact Addresses. Visas must be applied for in person at Embassy of Schengen country visited. If visiting more than one Schengen country, apply to the Embassy of the main destination or to the Embassy of the country entered first if there is no main destination.


Nationals must apply in person at the London Embassy if they are applying for a visa in the UK and reside within the vicinity of London.

Application requirements

a. One completed, signed application form.

b. One passport-size photo.

c. Passport valid for at least 3 months from the date of return. An alien's spouse and children under 16 years may travel with passport holder if their names and dates of birth are in the passport, plus photo of spouse and photos of any children under 7 years.

d. Re-entry permit into the United Kingdom valid for at least 90 days (for applicants applying at the Finnish Embassy in London).

e. Valid travel insurance other than E111.

f. A Hotel reservation or original invitation from either a family or company in Finland.

g. Reservation of travel tickets (possibly original return tickets also) and proof of funds.

h. Fee.

i. For minors under 18 years, letter from college/university and written permission from both parents, plus copy of parents’ passports.

j. Proof of funds (eg bank statement, credit card).


a - j and, k Letter of invitation from the Finnish company confirming length and purpose of stay and a letter from current employer.


A letter from educational institution.


The documents should be submitted both in their original form and with photocopy attached.

Working days required:

Up to 2 weeks, although sometimes longer.

Temporary residence

Application to the Finnish Embassy. Work permits and Residence permits must be arranged well in advance. EU nationals are allowed to live and work in Finland without visas or permits for up to 90 days, and for periods exceeding 90 days, they can obtain a residence permit (a work permit is not required) from the local police station. For further information contact the Directorate of Immigration for more information (website: www.uvi.fi).


Those wishing to visit the CIS from Finland are advised to obtain their visa in their country of origin, applications made in Helsinki take at least 8 working days.
Useful travel link
Visa Requirements Worldwide check visa requirements worldwide