homeWales travel guide > Wales duty free
Wales guide
Traveler café 
Travel directory
Last updated : Nov 2009
Wales Duty Free
Wales Duty Free - TravelPuppy.com
The following may be imported into England without additional customs duty by travelers aged 17 years and over arriving from non-EU countries:

 200 cigarettes (1 carton) or 50 cigars or 225g of tobacco
 1 litre of alcoholic beverages stronger than 22 per cent or 2 litres of fortified or sparkling wine.
 50g of perfume and 250ml of toilet water (cologne).
 Gifts and souvenirs not exceeding a total of £145 (pounds)

Goods and products obtained duty and tax paid in the EU are unlimited.
Note: The Channel Islands are considered as being outside of the EU for the Duty-Free section.

Prohibited and restricted items

Prohibited items include drugs, firearms and pornography.

The UK is one of the few countries of the world completely free of rabies and, until recently, all dogs and cats imported into the country had to spend 6 months in quarantine. To bring animals and birds into the UK, an import licence must be requested at least 6 months in advance. Some animals may now qualify for the PET Travel Scheme (PETS) and can be brought into the without being quarantined. Currently, this is limited to certain travel carriers and animals. Severe penalties are levied on persons attempting to smuggle domestic animals into the country. An illegally imported animal falls the risk of being destroyed.

For more information about importing animals, contact the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Area 201, 1A Page Street, London SWIP 4PQ

(web site: www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm);

or the PETS help line (telephone: (0870) 241 1710; fax: (020) 7904 6206; email: pets.helpline@defra.gsi.gov.uk) or the nearest British mission abroad.

Abolition of duty-free goods within the EU

On 30 June 1999, the sale of duty-free tobacco and alcohol at airports and at sea was abolished in all EU member states. Although there are no limits imposed on importing tobacco and alcohol products from one EU country to another, travellers may be required to prove at customs that the goods purchased are for personal use only.